Wednesday, June 18, 2003

As I was coming back from the Hill this afternoon I saw a oddly perfect scene for both a Washington DC postcard and a reminder of how security-happy the government has become.

From the taxi I saw a huge linebacker type with reflective aviator sunglasses, olive uniform and crisp tan ranger hat under the main arch of a huge federal building just below the capitol. He was completely alone and motionless, but I'm sure his unblinking eyes took everything in. Not a thing was out of place; uniform perfectly creased, military haircut, black skin and dark uniform clearly distinct from the surrounding white marble. He had that peculiar exaggerated unreality of a blueprint in an art gallery, standing there tense and watchful as the world thought better of approaching and continued along Pennsylvania Avenue.

I found myself wondering whether this was a good or a bad thing-- whether the adornment of the US government with these unflinching living gargoyles separates it from their popular basis or if human pit bulls like this one remind those who would challenge their authority and the administration's profound dedication to avenge any wrong done to it.

No comments: