Thursday, September 04, 2003

Whee!

My home town (OK-- it's two towns down from that) finally gets into the national news and what is it called? Mecca, California is "a desolate farm town" in "a bone dry desert" near the "freakishly overgrown wetlands of the Salton Sea." It's actually an interesting story about how California is monitoring and trying to deal with the spread of West Nile Virus. Listen to it here: California Prepares for West Nile.
Home, sweet home!

A while ago, I saw an advertisement in the Pentagon City Metro Station for the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) Museum that was pretty good:
Visit the DEA Museum and Visitor's Center. Target America: Traffickers, Terrorists, and You!
I wonder how long it took them to come up with that one.

I was reading the front section of yesterday's Wall Street Journal (090303) that I found on the metro and there was a teaser for a story about how one school district is charging students $60 to join the high school band and similar fees for "school activities and services that once came at no extra charge." Not having the section where the actual article was printed, I tried to look it up on the internet but had no success. Does anyone else know about this? I'm curious.

No comments: