Friday, May 02, 2003

Hm--

Bush read a speech in Santa Clara (Silicon Valley, CA) that has been referenced by all the major news outlets, but they all take the same snippets and use them as sound bytes-- as Yahoo News does here.

Strangely, though, I can't seem to find a copy of the actual speech outside the White House Website, which surprises me (negatively), to say the least. I'm probably being a (paranoid) curmudgeon but I thought the information age would lead to more sources and more varied honest interpretations of content. Eh--I'd better just get my head out of the clouds and start cheering whenever my President "stare[s] at the smoldering wreck on his screen."

Though I guess I have no right to complain-- the information age also gives free rein to people to "manage" information in whatever way they choose. The era started by Kennedy and Nixon's TV debates continues in spades through the present, as Tom Shales points out nicely (Washington Post 050203). Yes-- I know I've cited him before.


No comments: