Thursday, May 01, 2003

Hmmm-- is there any significance to the fact that my download of Oingo Boingo's "Wild Sex" has stalled with only 666 bytes received?

I also wanted to post an extremely good quote by Nade Proeva, History Professor at the University of Skopje, Macedonia:

"Whatever you write, understand that every nation has its own truth. In the Balkans we only speak through myths."

From the National Geographic article entitled Macedonia: Caught in the Middle by Priit J. Vesilind

I would go further and make the point that we all speak through myths (nations, states, individuals, other groups, etc), but it is much more overt in the Balkans.

I don't have a date on the article, but it was late 1990s. I might be able to dig more information out of my "archives." Ah, the glory of being a pack rat :-)

And for all you Greeks out there, it is the "Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia"-- no claim has been made on Thessaloniki (Salonika/Solon/Solun)-- at least officially.

No comments: